Kenny is presenting tomorrow at:
PACT 4 Families 15th Annual Community Conference on the Brain
Keynote by Henry Emmons, MD
April 6, 2017 Willmar High School, Willmar Minnesota
3:15pm to 8:30pm
Kenny’s workshop: 4:10pm-5:10pm, and 5:20pm-6:20pm
Social and Emotional Learning and Children’s Mental Health:
Utilizing findings in neuroscience and applied theory in practice.
Developing social and emotional intelligence are at the core of successful youth development. This workshop will identify and discuss recent findings in neuroscience and applied theory in practice which foster increasing social and emotional competencies, mental health, and well-being, as well as implications for practice in education, community, treatment, restorative justice, and correctional/probation settings.
Kenny Turck MSW, LICSW is the Founder, Chief Creative Officer, and President of Crow River Family Services, LLC (CRFS), a mental health agency based in Hutchinson, MN. Kenny holds a Master’s Degree in Social Work from St. Cloud State University where he later served as a member of the MSW program’s Community Advisory Board. Kenny grew up on his family farm where his family has called home since 1875. Kenny has been working in Adolescent and Children’s Mental Health for 25 years and is passionate about program and staff development, social work, and is a professional speaker/trainer. In September of 2015, DIRT GROUP was honored by NASW-MN as the Program of the Month, and in 2010, NASW-MN named Kenny as the recipient of the Paul & Sheila Wellstone Social Justice Award. DIRT GROUP is a trauma informed children’s mental health application based in social and emotional learning in the context of a gardening/farming project. www.dirtgrouptv.com
SO MUCH HAPPENING in 2017!!!
DIRT GROUP is a trauma informed children’s mental health application based in social and emotional learning in the context of a gardening/farming project. (www.dirtgrouptv.com)
As planting season is ramping up in greenhouses across Minnesota, Crow River Family Services, LLC (CRFS) and DIRT GROUP purchased a commercial greenhouse and installed it this past weekend at New Discoveries Montessori Academy (NDMA) in Hutchinson, MN to support social and emotional learning and children’s mental health for students. NDMA is a K-6th grade Montessori school in south-central Minnesota. Over the past three years CRFS has installed 5 garden plots and shared an abundance of vegetable and herb plants with NDMA. Greenhouse planting will commence this week at this location as well as at Earthrise Farm near Madison, Minnesota.
- I recently had the honor and privilege to meet with one of the co-founders of Appetite for Change, Princess Titus and Darryl their head of urban agriculture at Breaking Bread Cafe’. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Three words that capture some of their essence are: Passion, Truth, and Integrity.
- Today, Kenny met with a group in Willmar, Minnesota to help facilitate a collaborative effort between several community groups focused on education, economic development, children and families, food security, and youth, community, and economic development around growing food, people, and business opportunities for all.
- This week Kenny will be presenting at PACT for Families Collaborative’s 15th Annual Community Conference on the Brain in Willmar, MN on Social and Emotional Learning with keynote by renowned psychiatrist Dr. Henry Emmons .
- Kenny’s workshop description: Social and Emotional Learning and Children’s Mental Health: Utilizing findings in neuroscience and applied theory in practice. Developing social and emotional intelligence are at the core of successful youth development. This workshop will identify and discuss recent findings in neuroscience and applied theory in practice, which foster increasing social and emotional competencies, mental health and wellbeing, as well as implications for practice in education, community, treatment, restorative justice, and correctional/probation settings.
Yesterday we had a record turn out for Social Work Day at the Capitol (SWDAC) with nearly 1100 Social Work students, Educators, and other Social Work Professionals. It was an amazing day and Minnesota legislators made themselves available to meet with and hear from SWDAC participants! MACMH 2017 is coming at the end of the month in Duluth! Come visit our booth in the exhibit hall!
I cannot adequately express my feelings after meeting with Princess & Darryl from Appetite for Change yesterday at the Breaking Bread Cafe in Minneapolis. I am moved by their passion, integrity, and truth of the work they are doing and humbled by their kindness, sincerity, and generosity. Please, PLEASE visit and like their Facebook page and website. Then make plans to experience the food at Breaking Bread Cafe at 1210 West Broadway Avenue in Minneapolis. They are the change we all need to be in this world. The real deal. Hooganaga
DIRT GROUP is…
- A children’s mental health application
- A trauma informed practice
- Focused on social and emotional learning
- Grounded and informed by 4 major theories
- Based in the context of a gardening/farming/food project
- Participant outcomes include:
- tangible results (fruits/vegetables, increased social competencies)
- preparation for life
- pride & ownership
- the opportunity to make a difference/make contributions to their communities
- social inclusion
Implications for practice include:
- early childhood education
- alternative educational/special educational programs
- residential treatment centers
- chemical health treatment centers
- alternative sentencing programs
- juvenile and adult corrections
- community-based programs
- mainstream educational settings
for more information visit the following link: www.dirtgrouptv.com
or contact Crow River Family Services, LLC at (320) 587-7342 or at firstname.lastname@example.org