SO MUCH HAPPENING in 2017!!!
DIRT GROUP is a trauma informed children’s mental health application based in social and emotional learning in the context of a gardening/farming project. (www.dirtgrouptv.com)
As planting season is ramping up in greenhouses across Minnesota, Crow River Family Services, LLC (CRFS) and DIRT GROUP purchased a commercial greenhouse and installed it this past weekend at New Discoveries Montessori Academy (NDMA) in Hutchinson, MN to support social and emotional learning and children’s mental health for students. NDMA is a K-6th grade Montessori school in south-central Minnesota. Over the past three years CRFS has installed 5 garden plots and shared an abundance of vegetable and herb plants with NDMA. Greenhouse planting will commence this week at this location as well as at Earthrise Farm near Madison, Minnesota.
- This year, DIRT GROUP continues collaborative efforts across the state with Earthrise Farm, NDMA, MNyou Youth Garden in Willmar , Appetite for Change in North Minneapolis, and other community/youth garden programs in South Minneapolis (Abe’ Googles Levine). Our mission is to increase social and emotional competence/mental health in young people and address needs in youth, neighborhood, community, and economic development around issues related to food security and social justice.
- I recently had the honor and privilege to meet with one of the co-founders of Appetite for Change, Princess Titus and Darryl their head of urban agriculture at Breaking Bread Cafe’. To say I was blown away is an understatement. Three words that capture some of their essence are: Passion, Truth, and Integrity.
- Today, Kenny met with a group in Willmar, Minnesota to help facilitate a collaborative effort between several community groups focused on education, economic development, children and families, food security, and youth, community, and economic development around growing food, people, and business opportunities for all.
- This week Kenny will be presenting at PACT for Families Collaborative’s 15th Annual Community Conference on the Brain in Willmar, MN on Social and Emotional Learning with keynote by renowned psychiatrist Dr. Henry Emmons .
- Kenny’s workshop description: Social and Emotional Learning and Children’s Mental Health: Utilizing findings in neuroscience and applied theory in practice. Developing social and emotional intelligence are at the core of successful youth development. This workshop will identify and discuss recent findings in neuroscience and applied theory in practice, which foster increasing social and emotional competencies, mental health and wellbeing, as well as implications for practice in education, community, treatment, restorative justice, and correctional/probation settings.
Yesterday we had a record turn out for Social Work Day at the Capitol (SWDAC) with nearly 1100 Social Work students, Educators, and other Social Work Professionals. It was an amazing day and Minnesota legislators made themselves available to meet with and hear from SWDAC participants! MACMH 2017 is coming at the end of the month in Duluth! Come visit our booth in the exhibit hall!